Warm up with the Heat Pump Update
Most Warwick locals have used the WIRAC pools over the years, be it for school carnivals, lap swimming, hydrotherapy, aquarobics, or simply a fun outing for the family. Like everything else, we turn up and do what we came to do without thinking about all the behind-the-scenes activity that keeps things running.
Over the past seven months, there’s been a lot going on that the average pool user may or may not have noticed.
Southern Downs Regional Council approved an $812,000 project in October 2018 to update the aging and inefficient pool plant. The project improved pool heating, air handling, ventilation, and heat recovery with the goal to improve efficiency and “future proof” the site. Most of the pool plant is now automated, which reduces problems and frees up staff time.
The project is now complete and all locals can benefit from:
- A completely new and separate plant room for the hydrotherapy pool, including magnesium water sanitation, pool heating and air circulation
- 5 new electric heat pumps for the main pool – saving SDRC $80,000 annually due to impending removal of gas
- Commercial air handling for the aquatic hall. This complies with industry and health and safety standards resulting in improved air quality.
Most people won’t notice much difference visually, but new modern equipment means better efficiency, more reliable management of water heating and air-con, reduced use of pool chemicals and consumables, and a healthier environment.
By managing this huge project internally, significant savings were made on the original budget and so other areas of WIRAC have seen the benefit:
- Hydrotherapy area: painting, and new flooring, roof and lighting
- 24/7 Gym: carpet, air-con and heating, refurbished equipment
- New functional fitness area created on the stadium concourse: carpet, functional training rack and equipment
- Stadium: new carpet tiles for special events and functions, new floor washer
- Centre: new hot water services, including restricted washers to improve water efficiency, and a second defibrillation unit
- Improved efficiency overall for the Centre, saving money and time.
With all the updates and winter making it hard to summon up the willpower to get out and get active, why not pop in and let us help you get moving on your health and fitness goals. There is something for everyone.